Posted Wednesday, April 27th 2011 @ 3am
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- ¾ tsp. table salt
- 2 T finely chopped fresh Rosemary
- 2 T orange zest
- 6 T cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg lightly beaten with 1 T milk for glazing (you won’t need all of this)
- ¼ - ½ tsp. kosher or sea salt
In a small bowl, stir the cream and egg yolks just to blend. Add all at once to the flour mixture. Begin stirring with a fork to combine; then use your hands to gently knead the mixture together until all dry ingredients are absorbed (being careful not to over knead). Set ball in center of prepared pan and gently pat into a round about 1” thick by 7” in diameter. With sharp knife or pastry scraper, but into eight wedges; separate the wedges. Brush scones with the egg-milk glaze (won’t need all of it) and sprinkle with salt.Bake until scones are deep golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (18-22 minutes).
Slide parchment onto cooling rack; cool 10 minutes before serving.
Provided by Mary Ward