Posted Monday, April 4th 2011 @ 3am
- 2 pounds plump, crisp asparagus spears
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups good chicken stock, boiling
- 1/2 cup chopped-flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Kosher salt, to taste
Trim the asparagus ends and hydrate in ice water for at least 30 minutes.Steam in microwave or in a vegetable steamer just until “crisp-tender.” Refresh in ice water and pat dry. Cut on the diagonal into 1” pieces and set aside.
Return heat to medium and ladle in some of the hot stock. Cook, stirring, until the stock is absorbed into the rice. Repeat with ladles of the stock and continue to stir until rice is tender, but still firm. (there may be some stock left over ) Cooking time should be about 18 minutes, no longer than 20 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.