Posted Thursday, September 17th 2009 @ 2am· tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
· 2 medium rutabagas, peeled and diced
· 2 Yellow Delicious apples, peeled and diced
· 1 cup chopped yellow onion
· 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root (1/4 teaspoon dry ginger)
· 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
· 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
· 6 cups chicken stock
· 1 cup cream (heavy or light)
· Chopped parsley, for garnish
In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the rutabaga, apple and onion.
Cover and sweat the vegetables in the butter for 15 minutes.
Add the ginger, sugar, salt, and hot pepper sauce.
Stir in the stock; bring to a boil. Partially cover and reduce to simmer.
Cook for 30 minutes.
Purée in the blender.
Return to a cleaned pot.
Add cream. Reheat, but do not boil.
Taste and correct seasonings.
Serve hot with ftesh parsley sprinkled on top.