Posted September 15th, 2009 @ 2:34am· 1/4 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
· 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
· 1 large onion, thinly sliced
· 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
· 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
· 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
In a heavy skillet, cook the bacon pieces over medium heat, stirring, until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Pour off all of the bacon fat. Add butter to the skillet and heat.
Sauté the onion in the butter until translucent.
Add the squash and cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, or until crisp tender.
Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and basil.
Cook 5 minutes more.
Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the vegetables.
Cover the skillet for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese melts.