- Continue to look down your intended path of travel.
- Keep a firm, steady grip on the steering wheel and maintain a straight course. Concentrate on keeping or regaining control.
- Keep calm. Remember: Control over your mind means control over your car.
- Turn on the hazard lights.
- Ease off the accelerator to slow the vehicle. Once the vehicle is under control, brake gently with steady pressure to reduce the vehicle speed to a walking pace, then gradually steer the car off the roadway — preferably into a parking lot or other safe area away from traffic.