Marilyn's Bordelaise Beef Stew will fill you up, satisfy your taste buds and cure your hearty cravings. If you are looking for a delicious stew recipe, this dish is for you. This meal is easy to prepare and is guaranteed to be a family favorite.
3 pounds boneless chuck
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup dry red wine
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs flat leaf parsley
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Cut the beef into 1 inch cubes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a large heavy pot. Brown the beef in small batches over high heat, turning to brown on all sides.
3. With a slotted spoon remove to a side dish.
4. Add the onions and garlic to the pot and saute, stirring, for 5 minutes.
5. Return the beef and pour in the wine. Cook on high for 3 minutes.
6. Add the broth tomato paste. Tie the herbs together and add. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is fork tender.
7. Stir in the orange zest and juice and lemon juice. Cook 10 minutes more, uncoverd. Stir in the parsley.
8. Taste and correct the seasonings. Serve with crusty bread.