· 1 small eggplant, cut into julienne strips
· 2 red bell peppers cut into julienne strips
· 2 Vidalia onions, halved and sliced
· 2 to 3 small zucchini, sliced into thin slices
· 8 Roma tomatoes, halved
· Extra-virgin olive oil
· Coarse sea salt
· 1 pound imported rigatoni
· 1/2 cup chopped Italian Parsley
· 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
· 1/2 cup pitted and halved kalamata olives
· Freshly ground pepper, to taste
· 3/4 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Toss the vegetables on a large baking sheet with just enough olive oil to very lightly coat and sea salt to taste. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Stir and check for doneness every 3 minutes.
Meanwhile cook the rigatoni in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente—according to package instructions.
When the vegetables are roasted, remove them from the oven and immediately toss with the parsley, basil, olives and pepper to taste.
Toss with the hot, drained pasta and toss in the Parmigiano-Reggiano.