· 1 1/2 pounds medium to large raw shrimp
· Spicy Seasoning Mix*
· 2 eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons water
· Fresh bread crumbs
· Vegetable Oil, for frying
Season the shrimp with the seasoning mix. Dredge in flour; dip in egg and coat with bread crumbs. Place on a waxed paper lined baking sheet and chill I the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
· 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas (dried that you cook or canned that are drained and rinsed)
· 1 cup chopped Vidalia onion
· 2 cups cherry tomatoes, washed, halved and salted
· 2 jalapeņo peppers, seeded and minced
· 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
· 1 small head iceberg lettuce, washed, dried and chilled Parsley sprigs, for garnish
· 1 cup mayonnaise
· 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
· Salt, to taste
· 1 tablespoon horseradish mustard (Creole Mustard)
· 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
· 1 teaspoon sugar
Blend the dressing ingredients together with a whisk. Set aside.
Gently toss together the peas with the onion, tomatoes, peppers and parsley. Toss in the dressing. Cut the lettuce into quarters and shred finely. Place on a large dish. Top with the black-eyed pea mixture. Pile onto the lettuce. Chill until ready to top with shrimp.
Fry the shrimp in hot oil until golden and crisp. Place on top of the salad and serve immediately.