Odors and smells within a home not only cause discomfort but can also be the result of bigger problems such as excessive moisture in the air and mold. Mold in a home can cause headaches, nasal irritation, dizziness, fatigue and nausea. The main culprit of lingering, unpleasant odors in a home is the lack of proper ventilation and poor air quality.
Indoor odors are caused by both natural and man-made sources. These odors can be removed by improving the home’s ventilation, purifying the air and being aware of everyday activities. A home’s odor problem can be caused by a variety of sources including:
- Dust mites
- Animal dander
- Cat saliva
Every Breath You Take
Common contaminants that affect the quality of indoor air:
- Allergens are natural particles such as dust mites, pet dander, and pollen, which irritate, inflame and promote respiratory illness.
- Airborne bacteria and viruses can lead to a wide range of ailments and infections, and thrive in damp, stale environments. Without ventilation, these bacteria continue to breed.
- Toxic chemicals are the condensation and buildup of vapors from common household products such as paint, pesticides, cleaners, solvents, adhesives and aerosols that can be highly toxic if not properly ventilated from the home.
- Mold is a fungus, which needs moisture to exist, that gradually destroys the things it grows on. Spores released by mold are highly toxic and can cause serious – and even terminal – health complications.
- Moisture is the number-one problem in air quality control. Uncontrolled moisture promotes mold growth, feeds thriving bacteria and causes structural damage to the home.