I recently had a problem with a toilet as the ceiling below was becoming wet. I figured it was the wax seal and began the repair. I shut of the water, disconnected the supply line and loosen the nuts on the commode bolts and then removed the toilet from the spud. Sure enough the wax ring was destroyed and needed to be replaced but the flange was rusty and a mess. Rather then replacing the flange I cleaned it up and sanded the top of the flange, got some Loctite epoxy and glued a new PVC on top of the old metal flange. It worked perfectly as I installed the bolts and remounted the toilet with a brand new wax ring. No errors and no drips.