As the seasons change and we begin to close the windows and fire up the furnace problems can occur. If the furnace, water heater or other appliances in your home are fueled by natural gas there should be several carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
Byproducts of natural gas include carbon dioxide and water vapor. Complete combustion of gas produces a harmless mixture of these two byproducts. However, when a fuel is burned without proper air for complete combustion, a toxic gas called carbon monoxide may be produced. Incomplete combustion could happen for a number of reasons: